Answered By: Research Center Desk
Last Updated: Feb 09, 2020     Views: 84

The Research Center and Writing Center in the Anderson Academic Commons each have a teaching mission, which is why each offers one-on-one assistance to help students (and faculty) improve their overall research and writing skills, rather than offering correction or proofreading services. Students seeking proofreading services should check with their professor to be sure that using an outside proofreader is academically appropriate for the assignment and not a violation of the instructor's guidelines or the DU Honor Code's guidelines for Academic Misconduct. You can always consult the Writing Center or Research Center for guidance on how to proofread your work yourself and on how to correct mistakes.

There may be some cases when using the services of a proofreader is appropriate for a student, for example in the final stages of some dissertations or theses or before submitting an article for publication. Again, check with the faculty member advising you before you proceed. Proofreaders may be found within the university (check bulletin boards) or by searching for such services online. Note that professional proofreaders may be certified by the U.S. Proofreader Certification Association.